Alabama basketball will face Virginia Tech in the second round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament on Thursday, March 15 at approximately 8:20 p.m. CT at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh.
The Crimson Tide (19-15) earned the No. 9 seed in the East Region as an at-large selection, while the Hokies (21-11), who were also chosen at-large, earned the No. 8 seed. TNT will televise the game.
Alabama advanced to its first NCAA Tournament since 2012 with its selection on Sunday. It marks the Crimson Tide’s 20th NCAA appearance in school history, but it’s just the second showing since 2006. Alabama made five consecutive tournaments from 2002-06.
The Crimson Tide are 18-19 all time in the tournament and have advanced to the Sweet 16 seven times and the Elite Eight once (2004). The appearance also is the first for any current member of the Crimson Tide. This is the first tournament appearance for Alabama coach Avery Johnson.
How to follow Alabama basketball vs. Virginia Tech
- The first-round game on Thursday will air on TNT with Kevin Harlan, Reggie Miller, Dan Bonner and Dana Jacobson on the call.
- The radio broadcast can be found on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play) and Bryan Passink (analyst) on the call, with the pregame show beginning at 7 p.m. CT on the Crimson Tide Sports Network.
What you should know about Alabama basketball vs. Virginia Tech
- This matchup will mark the 15th meeting between Alabama and Virginia Tech with the Crimson Tide leading the all-time series 9-5. However, it will be the first meeting between the programs since 1989.
- Alabama reached the 1987 Sweet 16, which was later vacated, along with its 2-1 record in that tournament because of an NCAA violation. With that honor removed, Alabama has made seven Sweet 16 appearances in program history, with the last coming in 2004. That was the same year that the Tide made its lone Elite 8 showing.
- Alabama is 7-10 in games away from Tuscaloosa this season and holds a 5-2 mark in neutral-site contests.
The post Alabama basketball vs Virginia Tech in NCAA Tournament: Game information, TV, preview (March 15, 2018) appeared first on SEC Country.