Photo: Tim P. Whitby/Getty Images
Photo: Tim P. Whitby/Getty Images

Woman claims she found squid-like substance in coconut water

Barbara Kline, 34, made the disturbing discovery on April 25, according to her Facebook post.

>> Read more trending news

Kline told WABC that she opened the bottle, took a sip of the beverage and swallowed a clump of a thick substance. Coconut water is not typically thick.

When Kline sliced open the carton to investigate, she discovered a squid-like clump at the bottom of the container. Kline told WABC that she immediately became violently ill, was sick for two days and is still suffering respiratory issues related to her asthma. Medical tests have come back negative, Kline said.

A Vita Coco spokesperson told WABC said the substance is probably related to "random spoilage," and is not harmful. 

Vita Coco offered to test the substance for her, but Kline is seeking an independent test. She is considering a lawsuit, claiming Vito Coco has not been responsive to her complaint.

Kline said she will never drink coconut water again.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X