A town in New Mexico was left in the dark Wednesday night after a raccoon met a fiery fate with a power station transformer.
Those who live near the facility in Rio Rancho told KOB they saw, heard and felt the transformer explosion. Residents reported seeing flames, sparks and a blinding light, along with feeling their houses shaking.
>> Read more trending news
Approximately 9,600 customers lost power, the Public Service Company of New Mexico told KOB.
A PNM spokesperson told KOB the utility will evaluate whether it needs to add extra protection to the fenced area around the power station to prevent a recurrence of wildlife interference with equipment.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.