Update: Snopes.com states that this story is not accurate, and that the shocking images may be associated with a case from earlier this year involving raw pork or beef, not fish.
Original story: The man went to his doctor when he couldn’t get rid of stomach pains and itchy skin.
After an examination and x-rays, he was told the problem was tapeworms.
Lots of tapeworms.
Doctors at Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital in Guangdong Province in eastern China told the man it was likely he picked up the parasites by eating slices of raw fish, called sashimi.
The Journal Canadian Family Physician reports infestations like this are on the rise around the world.
Nancy Craig wrote, “The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi is a contributor."
It’s expected the man will be fine because treatment for the condition is simple and effective as long as the infection doesn’t reach the brain.
If it does, doctors say it can be fatal.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.