Yikes! Woman finds deadly stowaway in container of Walmart grapes

A Michigan woman who went grocery shopping at Walmart and brought home some grapes was greeted by a black widow spider as soon as she started washing them.

Ariel Jackson freaked out when she saw the spider on the grapes.

>> Read more trending stories

The toxin from a black widow's bite causes an illness called latrodectism, the hallmarks of which are "pain, muscle rigidity, vomiting and sweating," according to Wikipedia. Symptoms usually last one to four days and can last as long as one week. Very rarely, the bites are fatal.

Jackson said that she’d never seen a black widow before.

“I’ve never seen one before in person and then here it is, ‘hi!’” she told WXYZ-TV. A 911 dispatcher advised her to kill the spider, but Jackson’s boyfriend took care of that for her.

>> Click here to watch a video report from WXYZ

Meanwhile, Walmart gave Jackson a refund and said in a statement, “We are working to investigate all aspects of this allegation and taking appropriate measures to fully understand what may have happened. Our stores have procedures in place to help ensure products meet our high expectations for fresh, quality food.”

(H/T The Blaze)

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X