A 6-year-old boy jumped into action when a massive fire broke out at his Belmont home Thursday.
The brave first-grader, whose name is Carter, told WSOC how he helped get his family out of the burning home safely.
The blare of a smoke detector alerted the first-grader that something was wrong.
"I hate that beeping noise. It's so high pitched," Carter said.
Carter said he saw flames on the front porch on Clay Street and warned his grandmother. Carter's mother was also inside the home.
"My mom was in the shower, then she had to quickly get her clothes on," Carter said.
The family made it out safely with their dog but Carter was worried about other pets inside.
"We went out to get the dog but I don't think my cats are still alive," Carter said.
Even though firefighters worked fast they believe the house is likely destroyed.
"We got the fire out with 30 firefighters in about 15 minutes," Capt. Jarad McCam of the Belmont Fire Department said.
No injuries were reported.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.