61-year-old grandmother loses finger to flesh-eating bacteria: ‘I’d rather lose finger than life’ 

>> Read more trending news

“They are going to have to amputate,” Durvin told the Richmond Times-Dispatch

“I’d rather lose my finger than lose my life, but it is something that everybody should know in this hot weather,” she said.

Durvin’s hand swelled up the day after she swam in the river. At an area hospital, doctors told her she had a vibrio infection, also known as flesh-eating bacteria.

Every year dozens of people contract vibrio infections from swimming with open wounds.

Virginia Department of Health officials have issued warnings against swimming in salt or brackish water with open wounds.

“It can be fatal, or somebody could lose a limb,” health department epidemiologist Ana Colon told the Times-Dispatch.

>> Related: Woman contracts flesh-eating bacteria in Gulf of Mexico; how to avoid vibrio vulnificus

“The infection can be very serious.”

Colon said Virginia sees an average of 40 to 50 cases of vibrio infection every year.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X