A 4-year-old Georgia girl left in a coma after a house fire is back home.
Caliyah Ross went home Tuesday after spending weeks at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, and staff held an extra-special ceremony for the 4-year-old before her discharge.
Ross had been looking forward to her pre-K graduation ceremony. She had taken pictures in her cap and gown.
Then, she was burned in a house fire.
Ross suffered third-degree burns to her face and arms after her uncle was discarding a pan of hot fish grease.
It caught fire, and the flames tore into the 4-year-old.
“It was a fire, you know, it was a fire that happened,” said her mother Latoya Heyward.
MORE ON WSBTV.COM:
The pain was so intense doctors placed her in a medically induced coma. Then she began to get better.
“She just looked like she was in pain but some days I would go to the ICU and ask her if she was in pain and she would shake her head and say, ‘No,’” Heyward said.
Her family said a higher power made it happen.
“She's been in here for about a month and he literally restored her back to health,” Heyward said.
Before she left on Tuesday, the hospital arranged a special graduation ceremony since Caliyah couldn't make her own.
The scars remain on her body.
Celebrity painter Antoine Donte painted a mural to remind Ross how beautiful she was and is. He included a scripture.
“It says, ‘For I will restore health to you and I will heal your wounds says the Lord,’” Heyward said.
Ross still has a long road to recovery.
She can't be out in the direct sunlight, so she will have to stay inside this summer.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.