File photo
Photo: Spencer Platt/Getty Images
Photo: Spencer Platt/Getty Images

9-year-old dies of cocaine overdose, police say

The Mahoning County Coroner’s Office said that 9-year-old Marcus Lee Jr. died of acute cocaine toxicity.

Lee died at Akron Children’s Hospital after being taken there from his mother’s home on Dec. 26.

>> Read more trending news 

Police told WFMJ that Lee’s test results from the coroner’s report were “off the charts.” They believe that he took the drug orally. Police said cocaine was found in Lee’s stomach, WFMJ reported.

No cocaine was found in the home, but police said they were not contacted until a few hours after Lee died.

Lee’s father and stepmother said that what they were originally told about the boy’s death didn’t sound true. 

Marcus Lee Sr. told WFMJ, “I was angry. It was told to me it was a seizure or a defect, something that was unstoppable. Nobody was told the truth. I wasn’t told the truth.”

Police said the child’s mother has hired an attorney and they haven’t been able to speak to her. Two other children in the house have been removed by county children’s services, WFMJ reported.

Lee’s death is now being investigated as a possible homicide, the Associated Press reported.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.