File photo of a grill

Woman starts fire while cooking brisket in bathtub

Firefighters in Knoxville, Tennessee, were called to a home on Monday evening after a woman started a fire while cooking brisket in her bathtub.

>> Read more trending stories

The Knoxville News-Sentinel reports the woman was found by fire rescue crews at her home fanning light smoke. Authorities said there was melting fiberglass tub in the bathroom after the woman had "lit a small, wood-burning grill inside the bathtub."

The woman placed meat on a wire rack across the rim of the tub and the heat melted the fiberglass, authorities added. Knoxville Fire Department Capt. D.J. Corcoran said this incident was "a first in our books" and that "the tub and brisket were a total loss."

"Now, this may sound tempting and tasty, but now comes our public service announcement; 'THIS IS NOT A SAFE PRACTICE, AND OVER 50% OF RESIDENTIAL FIRES INVOLVE COOKING," Corcoran wrote in a press release, according to WVLT.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X