>> Related:Mother arrested after toddler eats THC-laced macaroni and cheese
Medical workers realized their mistake within about two minutes, but it was already too late. Once the formalin entered her system it began affecting her organs.
Shortly after the operation, her organs began to fail, RT reported, and Fedyaeva did not recover and soon died.
A government official for the region called it a “terrible tragedy” in a Twitter post.
While it's still unclear exactly how the mix-up occurred, RT reported that medical staff did not read the label on the medication before administering it, according to the Post.
Fedyaeva was essentially embalmed alive.
>> Related: Man rams cars with front-end loader in Walmart parking lot, police say
A criminal investigation is now underway and several medical staffers at the hospital where the mistake happened have now been fired.