9. Savannah, Georgia
8. Barcelona, Spain
7. New Orleans, Louisiana
6. Kyoto, Japan
5. Luang Prabang, Laos
4. Florence, Italy
3. San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
2. Chiang Mai, Thailand
1. Charleston, South Carolina
"Charleston is a remarkably dynamic place, so it's no surprise that it has achieved its highest ranking ever in our survey as this year's best city in the world," said Nathan Lump, the magazine's editor. "The city has managed to preserve all the qualities for which it is widely known -- a prime coastal setting, historic architecture, friendly locals -- while also nurturing a creative culture that is making it one of the most notable destinations for those who seek out interesting restaurants, bars and shops."
Top 10 islands around the world
10. Bali, Indonesia
9. Kauai, Hawaii
8. Hilton Head, South Carolina
7. Maui, Hawaii
6. Sebu, Phillippenes
5. Santorini, Greece
4. Waiheke Island, New Zealand
3. Ischia, Italy
2. Boracay, Philippines
1. Palawan, Philippines
Top 10 domestic airports
10. Portland International Jetport (PWM), Maine
9. Nashville International Airport (BNA), Tennessee
8. Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT), Pennsylvania
7. John Wayne Airport (SNA), Santa Ana, California
6. Dallas Love Field (DAL), Texas
5. Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP), Minnesota
4. Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), Texas
3. Tampa International Airport (TPA), Florida
2. Indianapolis International Airport (IND), Indiana
1. Portland International Airport (PDX), Oregon
"In addition to its navigability, PDX boasts an admirable on-time departure record," Travel + Leisure writer Melanie Lieberman wrote.
PDX garnered the magazine's No. 1 spot for the fourth year in a row.
Top 10 large-ship ocean cruise lines
10. Royal Caribbean International
9. Celebrity Cruises
8. Holland America Line
7. Princess Cruises
6. Oceania Cruises
5. Azamara Club Cruises
3. Regent Seven Seas Cruises
2. Crystal Cruises
1. Viking Cruises
"What truly makes a statement on the line's twin 930-passenger ships, Viking Star and Viking Sea, is the Scandinavian aesthetic, which translates to airy cabins (all of which have full-size balconies) and public spaces," Travel + Leisure's Jacqueline Gifford wrote. "Wi-Fi is free to all guests, no matter their cabin class, and there is no surcharge to dine outside the main restaurant in places like The Chef's Table, which serves a five-course tasting menu."
The magazine named Gray & Co. the worlds best tour operator, National Car Rental as the world's best car rental company and The Lodge at Glendorn in Bradford, Pennsylvania, as the world's best resort hotel in the continental U.S.
The World's Best Awards also feature categories for destinations in Europe, Canada, Mexico and other international locations.