Fireworks Safety Tips

Teen injured when firework explodes in hand, warns July 4th revelers to use caution

According to KNWA-TV, Landon Freeman, 18, of Springdale, was playing with fireworks last month when he accidentally put one backward into a mortar tube.

>> Read more trending news

That's when it exploded.

“It was just a bright flash of light, and as soon as it went off I knew that I blew up my hand," Freeman told KNWA.

Freeman, who was bleeding and unable to feel two of his fingers, was transported by helicopter to a Little Rock hospital, where he had two surgeries during his five-day stay.

Doctors plan to perform another surgery on Freeman, whose wrist is still shattered, the news outlet reported.

"Hopefully people can learn from my mistakes," he told KNWA.

Thousands of people are injured in fireworks-related accidents every year, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Read more here.

Stock photo of fireworks.
Photo: Christine Aubé / Pixabay.com

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X