Sen. Al Franken accused of groping woman in 2010


A woman accused Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, of groping her during a photo-op in Minnesota in 2010, two years after the former comedian and radio show host was voted into the U.S. Senate, CNN reported on Monday.

>> Read more trending news

Lindsay Menz, now 33, told CNN that she was posing for a photo with Franken at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair when the senator “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, (Franken) put his hand full-fledged on my rear.”

She said the “uncomfortable” incident left her feeling “gross.”

"It wasn't around my waist. It wasn't around my hip or side. It was definitely on my butt," she told CNN. "I was like, ‘Oh my God, what's happening?’"

In a statement to CNN, Franken said that he felt “badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected,” but he said he didn’t remember taking the photo with her.

Menz came forward in the wake of allegations against Franken made by Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden. In a blog post for KABC, Tweeden wrote that Franken, who was a radio host for Air America at the time, forced himself on her as they were practicing a skit he wrote for the tour.

Franken has since apologized for the incident.

>> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent

“I felt disgusted and violated,” Tweeden wrote. “No one saw what happened backstage. I didn’t tell the sergeant major of the Army, who was the sponsor of the tour. I didn’t tell our USO rep what happened.”

She said she focused on entertaining the troops and didn’t speak up because she “didn’t want to cause trouble.”

“We were in the middle of a war zone, it was the first show of our holiday tour, I was a professional and I could take care of myself,” she wrote. “I told a few of the others on the tour what Franken had done, and they knew how I felt about it.”

>> Related: 'SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update'

Franken called for an investigation into the 2006 incident after apologizing to Tweeden in a statement last week.

"The truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories," Franken said. "They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh in first TV interview repeatedly denies sexual assault accusations
SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh in first TV interview repeatedly denies sexual assault accusations

Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh is under fire as accusations of sexual misconduct cloud what was expected to be a simple nomination process.   >> Read more trending news  The Senate Judiciary Committee is expected to hold a hearing at 10 a.m. ET Thursday, in which a woman who has accused Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting...
Springfield man reports being robbed while walking on sidewalk
Springfield man reports being robbed while walking on sidewalk

A Springfield man reported being robbed while walking near Municipal Stadium. Springfield police responded to the 1100 block of Mitchell Boulevard where the victim said he was walking when a silver van pulled up beside him and made contact with him. “(The occupants) asked him for a cigarette,” the report says. “He stated that he offered...
Woman's fake, elaborate kidnapping story leads to felony charge, police say
Woman's fake, elaborate kidnapping story leads to felony charge, police say

A Georgia woman faces a felony charge after police say she lied about someone kidnapping and robbing her.  WSB-TV's Tony Thomas spoke to the woman after police filed charges against her for the apparent lie. Hillary Black of Lawrenceville claimed the incident happened in a parking lot after she used an ATM in front of a store, police said...
Increased charges to be sought against Clark Co. stabbing suspect
Increased charges to be sought against Clark Co. stabbing suspect

Raymond Roberts, the 42-year-old Springfield man accused of slicing his wife’s throat, could be facing more serious charges than initially anticipated. “The state intends to pursue charges of attempted murder and felonious assault for two separate acts during this incident,” said Clark County Assistant Prosecutor Megan Farley during...
Florida principal armed with gun to protect against school shootings
Florida principal armed with gun to protect against school shootings

A Florida charter school principal is packing heat. The principal of San Jose Academy & Preparatory High School in Jacksonville is one of the first Duval County charter school employees to graduate from the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office’s training academy for “safe school officers.” Principal and Executive Director...
More Stories