Chipotle faced a public relations meltdown early this week when customers fell ill after eating at a location in Sterling, Virginia. In what is only the latest in a string of incidents, Chipotle was forced to close that branch. The grills in Sterling were barely cold, when a Chipotle in Dallas caught public attention when a video surfaced of rodents falling from the ceiling.
Diners captured video of the animals dropping out of the ceiling Tuesday. One patron told NBC DFW, “If we had been sitting at the next table, it definitely would have fell on top of our food, because it was literally right there. […] I kept wondering what it was, until I looked at the floor, and I saw three rats, and I ran.”
In a statement to the NBC Dallas-Fort Worth affiliate, Chipotle said that there was a “small structural gap in the building as a likely access point.” The company added, “This is an extremely isolated and rare incident.” The customer who spoke to NBC DFW said she isn’t likely to return to that location.
Chipotle’s stock has been plagued with drops associated with food poisoning in it’s restaurants. In 2015, an E. coli outbreak caused the restaurant chain’s shares to plummet. On Tuesday, after news of the Virginia food poisoning went viral, the stock dipped more than 6 percent, CNN Money reports.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.