Reports: Publix sued after 11-year-old dies of allergic reaction

Publix is facing a lawsuit after a family blamed an 11-year-old's death on an improperly labeled cookie, according to The (Clarksville) Leaf-Chronicle.

Derek Wood, 11, ate a Chocolate Chew cookie from a Tennessee Publix. A Publix worker said the cookie did not have any nuts. Wood has suffered from a nut allergy since he was 4. 

Three bites into the cookie, he said his mouth was burning, and an epinephrine pen and a trip to the emergency room were not enough to save him.

The cookie actually had walnuts in it.

The family's lawsuit states that the purpose is to "raise awareness of food allergens that are potentially fatal in children" and "to have Publix follow the federal law."

Publix declined comment, since the case was ongoing.

Read The Leaf-Chronicle's full story.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X