Jake was three weeks old when he was trapped in a shed and severely burned.
The puppy suffered burns to about 75 percent of his body, including on his paw pads, according to Bored Panda. His owners could not pay for the medical costs and abandoned Jake at the veterinarian’s office.
That’s when Bill Lindler, one of the firefighters who helped rescue Jake, stepped in and adopted the puppy.
Jake has recovered and became a fixture at the Hanahan Fire Department where Lindler works.
Jake already has his own badge and gear. Lindler told Bored Panda, he is now training Jake to work as an arson detection dog.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.