Addie, a 3-year-old Labrador, was revived with Narcan after she accidentally ate 25 painkillers. (Photo: York County Sheriff's Office)

Narcan used to revive dog that ate 25 painkillers

Addie thought she smelled gummy worms, but it turned out to be 25 oxycodone pills prescribed to the dog owner’s daughter, according to WPMT.

>> Read more trending news

Addie’s owner, Leslie Reynolds, noticed the dog was lethargic. She loaded the 3-year-old yellow Labrador into the car and took off for the emergency veterinarian clinic.

On the way, she saw deputies with York County Sheriff’s Office and flagged them down for help.

“I thought for all of two or three seconds, yup this is what we have to do. Addie and I became really good friends, real quick,” Sgt. Dave Chauvette, with Maine’s York County Sheriff’s Office, told WPMT. “I held her head up talked to her for a little while and I gave her half a dose in her right nostril. We waited a few minutes and I gave her the other half in her left nostril and it seemed to have the desired effect.”

Reynolds said Addie is doing fine and she is thankful the deputies carried Narcan with them.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.