A mother of six is making a desperate plea and is using online fundraising for help after a fire left her family in need.
Khalima Dixon was awakened by a neighbor yelling that there was a fire early Monday morning.
Dixon managed to get her children, ages 1 through 14, out safely. Everything else was lost in the blaze.
"My children are homeless," Dixon said. "They have nothing. They lost everything."
Dixon said the American Red Cross has helped the past few days while she has looked for somewhere permanent to live.
“You would think there are more services to help people and there really aren’t,” she said.
Dixon said even shelters have turned her away.
“They’ll take three of my children but they won’t take the other three or my son is too old or they have no space at all,” she said.
Dixon said she had rented her condo from the owner for the past four years. In that time, she said she quit working to go back to school full time to finish a degree in business management. Because she's now unemployed, she is finding it difficult to get a lease.
The family has a GoFundMe page for help.