A young mother is recovering after losing a finger in a fireworks accident Saturday.
Kaitlyn Starks, 22, was airlifted to the hospital and had surgery to remove her index finger after the Roman candle she was holding exploded in her hand.
"I thought that I was going to lose my entire hand," Starks told Fox59. "You never think that something like this would happen to you."
Starks was celebrating the Fourth of July holiday with her family when the accident occurred.
Starks wants others to learn from her.
"I want (people) to be aware not to hold a Roman candle in their hand like I did, because I know some people aren’t as lucky and they lose entire limbs, where I was lucky enough to just lose one finger,” Starks told Fox59.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.