Mom warns of tick bite paralysis after 2-year-old couldn’t stand


A mom in Tennessee is warning other families after a scary situation happened with her toddler. 

Cayla Bailey’s 2-year-old daughter, Natalie, woke up Sunday and wasn’t able to stand, WRCB reported.

“When I bribed her with food and she wouldn’t stand or walk, I knew that something was absolutely wrong. That’s when we went straight to the emergency room,” Cayla Bailey told WRCB.

Doctors couldn’t pinpoint what was happening to Natalie, but then her grandmother found a tick in the girl’s hair.

It was identified as an American dog tick. 

“They kept saying that there was this new strain of tick toxin and it was causing paralysis in children in the lower extremities,” Bailey told WRCB. “It would have caused paralysis all the way up her body and it would have stopped her heart.”

Just hours after the tick was removed, Natalie was able to walk, WRCB reported

>> Read more trending news 

WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the most common symptoms of tick bites are fever and chills, aches, pains and rashes. With Lyme disease, the rash can present itself as a circular rash within three to 30 days of a bite. A Rocky Mountain spotted fever rash will differ depending on who contracts it. Some who have Rocky Mountain spotted fever will not get a rash, while others will get it on the wrists, forearms and ankles before it spreads to the trunk. Other patients will get it on their palms and soles. 

Tick paralysis, according to the CDC, is rare, and officials believe it can be caused by a toxin in the tick’s saliva. Officials say the paralysis ends within 24 hours of removing the tick.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Student of the Week Graham High School
Student of the Week Graham High School

Name: Chase Adams School: Graham High School Grade: 12 Age: 17 Extra-curricular: Basketball, Baseball, Student Senate, Freshman Focus Claim to fame/honors: 2nd team CBC, Falcon Pride Student of the Month, Honor Roll, perfect attendance for all of high school Words you live by: “The true test of a man’s character is how he handles adversity...
Athlete of the Week Graham High School
Athlete of the Week Graham High School

Name: Brady Oder School: Graham High School Grade: 12 Age: 17 Sports: Soccer, Bowling Claim to fame/honors: 1st Team CBC; 1st Team District Words you live by: “Live, Laugh, Love.” Toughest opponent: Life Biggest influence: My parents Game-day rituals: Just think about the game What’s on your bedroom walls: Paint and medals When I&rsquo...
Sheriff asks residents to stop bothering a vacationing Post Malone
Sheriff asks residents to stop bothering a vacationing Post Malone

The Morgan County Sheriff asked residents, mostly children, Friday to stop bothering entertainer Post Malone, who is in the area on vacation, officials said. >> Read more trending news  “If you see him out on the town feel free to say hello, he has been very kind and respectful to all who have talked to him,” officials said in...
Some flea-tick products increase seizure risk in pets, FDA says
Some flea-tick products increase seizure risk in pets, FDA says

Some flea and tick drugs could cause seizures and other neurological issues in pets, and owners should consult with their veterinarians to decide on an appropriate treatment, the Food and Drug Administration said.  >> Read more trending news  Some cats and dogs on Bravecto, Nexgard, Credelio and Simparica, which use isoxazoline...
Strip club closed after food stamps used to buy lap dances, drugs, investigators say
Strip club closed after food stamps used to buy lap dances, drugs, investigators say

The Ohio Liquor Control Commission revoked the liquor permit of Sharkey’s bar, an adult entertainment establishment, effective at the close of business Thursday, after investigators used food stamps to buy lap dances. >> Read more trending news  Agent-in-Charge Michelle Thourot said agents began investigating the Twenty Two Fifty Inc...
More Stories