VP Mike Pence ready for secret meeting with North Korea, but North backs out


Vice President Mike Pence was ready for a secret meeting with North Korean officials at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, earlier this month, but the North backed out, according to news outlets.

>> Read more trending news 

Pence attended the Olympics Opening Ceremony on Feb. 9 as part of a five-day trip to Asia and was seated near Kim Jong-un’s sister, but did not speak to her, creating a media sensation.

The North canceled the meeting just two hours before Pence was scheduled to meet with Kim Jong-un’s sister, Kim Yo Jong, and another North Korean state official, Kim Yong Nam, on Feb. 10 after Pence announced new sanctions against the North Korean regime during his trip and rebuked it for its nuclear program, according to the Washington Post, which was the first to report on the secret meeting.

“North Korea dangled a meeting in hopes of the vice president softening his message, which would have ceded the world stage for their propaganda during the Olympics,” the vice president’s chief of staff, Nick Ayers, said in a statement, according to The Hill.

>> Related: NBC apologizes for comment about Japan, South Korea during Olympics opening ceremony

News of the secret meeting comes as relations between the communist north and democratic south seem to be thawing in recent weeks with the announcement last month from Kim Jong-un that he was sending a delegation to the Olympics. He sent his sister to lead the group.

“We regret [the North Koreans'] failure to seize this opportunity," State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said in a statement. "We will not apologize for American values, for calling attention to human rights abuses, or for mourning a young American’s unjust death."

>> Related: Olympic gold medalist, skater Meagan Duhamel, uses platform to spotlight dog meat trade

Pence said he planned to use his trip to the Olympics to prevent North Korea from using the games as a ploy for favorable propaganda on the communist regime.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Property company sues R. Kelly for $203K in damages to homes
Property company sues R. Kelly for $203K in damages to homes

An Atlanta based property management company is suing R. Kelly for damages to two homes he rented near Johns Creek. Fred J. Rushing and Heather L. Johnson — two attorneys with RBBS, LLC — filed the civil suit in the state court of Fulton County on Wednesday on behalf of SB Property Management Global, LLC. The suit claims that Kelly, a Grammy-winning...
Video shows woman in Tennessee forced into back of car; police investigating possible abduction
Video shows woman in Tennessee forced into back of car; police investigating possible abduction

Police are investigating after video shows a woman possibly being abducted in Memphis, Tennessee.  According to the Memphis Police Department, officers responded to a complaint around 8 p.m. Wednesday in the 4100 block of Delp Street about a woman possibly being abducted.  The person who called police told officers he saw a man and woman...
Springfield teens sentenced in aggravated robbery at school parking lot
Springfield teens sentenced in aggravated robbery at school parking lot

Two Springfield teens were sentenced on aggravated robbery charges in Clark County Juvenile Court on Thursday. The 14 and 16-year-old boys were sentenced to three years at an Ohio Department of Youth Services facility and completion of a program at the Miami Valley Juvenile Rehabilitation Center, respectively. Each of the teens also have to pay individual...
Doctors remove contact lens unknowingly stuck in woman’s eyelid for 28 years
Doctors remove contact lens unknowingly stuck in woman’s eyelid for 28 years

Dealing with contact lenses can be a chore. They can be difficult to insert and can even get lost in your eyelid, according to a new report.  Researchers from the United Kingdom recently published an article in the British Medical Journal that revealed how a contact lens became lodged in a woman’s eye for 28 years.  A 42-year-old...
Springfield man shot on Delcourt Drive still in the hospital
Springfield man shot on Delcourt Drive still in the hospital

A man shot multiple times in Springfield was still at Miami Valley Hospital Thursday afternoon. The victim was shot in the afternoon of Aug. 5 on Delcourt Drive. No arrests have been made in the case. MORE: New Carlisle man pleads in federal court to child porn possession The man “was suffering from multiple gun wounds to his chest, left arm...
More Stories