McDonald’s brings back Szechuan sauce to ‘fully make amends’


McDonald’s acknowledged Wednesday morning that it botched last fall’s release of a cult favorite menu item and vowed to get it right this time, starting Feb. 26.

>> Read more trending news 

“Last October, we truly meant well when we brought back a super-limited batch of Szechuan Sauce, but it quickly became apparent we did not make enough to meet the expectations of our fans,” McDonald’s said in a Thursday news release. “We did not anticipate the overnight crowds, the cross-state travel and the amazing curiosity, passion and energy fans showed.”

“Our super-limited batch, though well-intentioned, clearly wasn’t near enough to meet that demand. We disappointed fans and we are sorry. To fully make amends, we felt it was important to not only bring back much more sauce this time, but to also admit our mistakes, answer questions and give fans access to the story behind the story.”

Related: Fan-demanded Szechuan sauce returning to McDonald’s for one day

Last year, McDonald’s announced a “one-time only, limited-edition” run of the sauce, which was first released in 1998 as a promotional tie-in with the release of Disney’s animated movie “Mulan.” Twenty years later, the sauce has a fan following, which was referenced in an episode of “Rick and Morty.” The limited batch was at a few McDonald’s locations Oct. 7.

When the day came, however, fans were left rejected. In some restaurants, customers only got one packet of sauce and in others, no sauce was available despite posters promising otherwise. Some customers were so upset that police had to be called to locations.

Related: McDonald’s customers get saucy over failed ‘Rick and Morty’ promotion

McDonald’s officials say this time will be different.

“We have hundreds of packets (of the sauce) per restaurant to satisfy that sauce craving, so we encourage customers to get ‘em while we’ve got ‘em, whether they come into the restaurant, use Mobile Order & Pay, or order through McDelivery on Uber Eats where it’s available,” Debbie Wright, a franchise owner for Dayton, Ohio, McDonald’s, said in a release.

“We’ve worked every day since October to bring back much, much, more of the sauce our fans have been craving,” the company said. “And we’re excited to announce that starting Monday, Feb. 26, 20 million packets of Szechuan Sauce will be available across all U.S. McDonald’s restaurants with a qualifying purchase, while supplies last (which this time around, we hope is a while).”

The sauce will be available starting at lunchtime on Monday. To obtain it, a customer must buy an item on the menu.

More information on the return of the sauce can be found at McDonald’s We Want The Sauce website.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Ole Miss considers changing name of journalism school after namesake's social media post
Ole Miss considers changing name of journalism school after namesake's social media post

The University of Mississippi is considering changing the name of its School of Journalism after receiving major backlash stemming from a controversial post made on Facebook by the school’s namesake.  >> Read more trending news  Ed Meek is a well-known and respected alumnus of Ole Miss, as well as a significant booster for...
Cooler, fall-like weekend
Cooler, fall-like weekend

Much cooler air this weekend Fall officially begins at 9:54 p.m. Saturday More unsettled weather arriving next week Today: A much cooler day expected today with lots of clouds. Temperatures will start in the 50s then slowly rise to the middle 60s by this afternoon. A light breeze is expected throughout the day, making it feel slightly cooler....
California barber criticized for hanging doll of Colin Kaepernick from noose in shop
California barber criticized for hanging doll of Colin Kaepernick from noose in shop

A Northern California barbershop owner apologized Friday and said he has received death threats after a photograph of a hanging doll in his shop portraying former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick was posted on social media, the Sacramento Bee reported Friday. >> Read more trending news  The photograph was taken inside the Bowtie Barbershop...
Hurricane relief donation collection at Company 7 BBQ in Englewood
Hurricane relief donation collection at Company 7 BBQ in Englewood

Hurricane relief donations are being collected in the Dayton area on Saturday, Sept. 22 and Sunday, Sept. 23 from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Ohio Senior Resources, in collaboration with God’s Grace Food Pantry, will be in the back parking lot of Company 7 BBQ, 1001 S. Main Street, to collect toiletries and essential items for hurricane relief...
Alabama boy, 13, found naked and chained in home
Alabama boy, 13, found naked and chained in home

A woman, her husband and her mother were arrested on child abuse charges Thursday after a 13-year-old boy was found naked and chained in a central Alabama home, AL.com reported. >> Read more trending news  Nicole Martin, 32, Joshua Daniel Martin, 26, and Vickie Seale Higginbottom, 58, were charged with torture and willful abuse of a...
More Stories