Man's pants catch fire after iPhone explodes in his pocket

Ronnie Moore, 21, said he was enjoying the Fourth of July with family in St. Peters, Missouri, when he “felt a sharp pain” on his thigh and noticed that his iPhone was causing a fire in his pants, KSDK reported.

>> Read more trending stories

"I started hearing sizzling, and I'm like, 'You're on fire,' and he's like, 'Mom, I'm on fire,' and I'm like, 'Get out of the truck, get out of the truck!'" Moore’s mother, Terry, said.

Moore told KSDK that he tossed his pants off and saw some pieces of his phone fall out with smoke coming off of them.

"It was on the ground and it was just bubbling. There was smoke everywhere," Moore said. "I have no idea what could have happened, what could have caused that," Terry Moore said.

After suffering the burns, Moore said he doesn’t anticipate getting a new cellphone anytime soon.

"I really don't want anyone's life in jeopardy. I praise God that my son survived. It could have been worse. But I think we need to bring this to the public's attention," Terry told KSDK.

Apple would not give a comment to KSDK about the incident, saying that it was not something that happened often. Moore was taken to the hospital with first- and second-degree burns and said he plans to file a complaint with the company.

"I really don't want anyone's life in jeopardy. I praise God that my son survived, it could've been worse."

Posted by The Palm Beach Post on Thursday, July 7, 2016

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X