Tips for Safe Grilling

Houston boy swallows piece of grill brush wire left on barbecued chicken

>> Read more trending news

Allyson Kopel told KHOU she was grilling some chicken Wednesday for her 12-year-old son, Zach, and his friend. But something was wrong after he ate dinner. 

“Whenever I swallowed, it really hurt," Zach told the television station. “I didn’t know what it was, I thought maybe it was a chicken bone. But it got in my throat, and it just stuck there.”

When the pain did not go away, Kopel took her son to an emergency room, where an X-ray revealed a tiny fiber made of steel, KHOU reported.

“It was just a freakish sort of thing, I thought, I wonder if a bristle fell off?" Kopel told the television station.

Her theory was confirmed when doctors pulled the wire from Zach's throat and found a tiny bristle from a brush she had used to clean the barbecue grill before cooking. 

“Thin as dental floss, sharp as a tack on both ends, tiny," Kopel told KHOU. “Crazy that something that small could send you to the ER for so long."

Instead of enjoying barbecued chicken, a Houston boy needed a trip to an emergency room to dislodge a piece of a bristle from a metal grill brush.
Photo: Mouhcine Bahassa/Pixabay

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X