9/11 foundation builds home for Gold Star Georgia widow

All of it — life, love, birth, death — happened so quickly.

>> Read more trending news

Sarah Hawkins, a girl from small-town Georgia trying to find herself in New York, and Collin Schaaff, a young Marine stationed thousands of miles from his native Washington, met in a bar. Each was serving as a designated driver that night. Shared sobriety helped bring them together.

They grew inseparable.

It was only a few months before they married and just a few more before Sarah bore their first daughter. She was six months along with their second when everything stopped just as abruptly as it had started.

On July 10, 2017, a KC-130 air tanker carrying an elite special operations unit across the country crashed and burned in a soybean field in rural Mississippi.

Marine Cpl. Collin Schaaff was among those on board, one of 16 killed. He was just 22 years old.

His wife was left pregnant and a single parent, scared and alone. She had little choice but to leave what they’d built in New York and moved back in with her family in Barnesville, the rural Georgia town about an hour southeast of Atlanta.

They made it work, but she and the kids no place of their own, nowhere to really call home. That changed Tuesday.

PHOTOS: 9/11 charity gives homes to Georgia Gold Star widow

In an emotional ceremony held on the 17th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, World Trade Center attacks, Sarah Schaaff and her girls were given a brand new home — thanks to a foundation created in memory of a firefighter who lost his life that day nearly two decades ago.

The Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation has donated millions and built scores of homes for the families of wounded or fallen first responders or service members.

“If I could’ve ask him before he got on that plane, what do you want, what do you need done, he would’ve said, ‘Take care of my family,’” friend and fellow Marine Cpl. Adam Luxon said.

The Schaaff family will remain in Barnesville.

“This has been a very difficult time for me,” the young widow said. “But we’re working through it. And now I get to have a home, and I get to have him … still be a part of our children’s lives, no matter what.”

‘Something good’

Sarah’s new home, a gleaming white and green farmhouse, is tucked neatly on her parents’ property. It has a pool and a porch and a yard for the girls, and a spacious window where Sarah can watch them from the kitchen.

Sarah and her family saw the finished product for the first time Tuesday at 9:59 a.m., the exact time the South Town of the World Trade Center fell.

The namesake of the Tunnel to Towers Foundation died in the South Tower after having run for miles in full gear to get there among the chaos.

“We have decided to turn evil into something good,” said John Hodge, a cousin of Siller’s and the foundation’s COO.

Public safety personnel lined the driveway as Sarah and the girls — one now close to 3 years old, the other just over 1 — arrived. Sky divers dropped from the sky with American flags in tow as the national anthem played. Local dignitaries spoke. So did friends and family.

“I’m overwhelmed,” Sarah’s mom, Ariyl Fuentes, said.

Sarah spoke too, and was given a piece of steel from the South Tower. She raised a flag that had originally honored Collin at the site of his crash.

Then she got to go inside.

‘So thankful’

As members of the media swarmed around her, Sarah toured what she’s already dubbed her “forever home.”

The living room and its custom clock, where pictures of her and Collin and the girls mark each hour. The kitchen with the butchers block she asked about. The master bathroom, which elicited an excited yelp. And her favorite part: the laundry room.

“It is absolutely amazing,” she said. “Everything they’ve done. It’s great not to have to pay a mortgage on anything, to not have to renovate anything, to just have a place where the girls can grow up, where they can get older and they can know OK, I have a home … I never want my children to feel like they have to give me their piggy bank because we’re having a hard time.”

Asked if she’d taken a moment that morning to think of Collin, to talk to him, she said that they speak every day. They talk when she’s frustrated by her daughter Willow coloring on the walls, or by Guinevere crying, and they talk when she’s happy. They talk when she hears certain songs on the radio.

They talk when she’s mad at him for leaving.

“But then there’s days that I’m just like, ‘I’m so thankful that you blessed me with everything that you have,’” Sarah said, sitting on the couch in her new living room.

“He will forever be in my home,” she said. “He will forever be everywhere in my home, continuously and always.”

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Nation World

COMMENTARY: Looking to the future of transportation

A recent column on this page discussed traffic congestion and how it happens. In my opinion, traffic congestion in our nation’s urban areas is a classic byproduct of sprawl and our reluctance to regionally manage growth as it relates to the use of land. Dayton is a prime example of this phenomenon, as over the past 40 to 60 years we have consumed...
Man is brutally beaten on street corner after woman spits on him, video shows
Man is brutally beaten on street corner after woman spits on him, video shows

A man is recovering after being beaten Saturday on a busy street corner.  Ismail Godinj, 25, is seen in surveillance video from a nearby deli crossing a street when he is spit upon by a woman on the corner, WCBS reported.  >> Read more trending news  Godinj looks to the ground, then says something to the woman before two men...
Boston officer taken to hospital after being shot
Boston officer taken to hospital after being shot

Boston police responded after an officer was shot in the South End on Sunday, police say. Boston Police Commissioner William Gross said the officer was shot in the calf. Police confirmed the officer was taken to the hospital, but his injuries weren't believed to be life-threatening. >> Read more trending news  A suspect was taken into custody...
Student lies under flag to make sure it doesn’t touch the ground
Student lies under flag to make sure it doesn’t touch the ground

Amanda Reallan was waiting in the parking lot to pick up her children from school when she saw an act of patriotism she had to capture a photo of. >> Read more trending news  Three fifth-grade boys were struggling as they removed and worked to fold the American flag when one of them lay under it to make sure it did not touch the ground....
Male reportedly stabbed in the neck in Springfield
Male reportedly stabbed in the neck in Springfield

Police responded to a second reported stabbing in Springfield Sunday. Emergency crews were dispatched on a report of a male with a neck wound from a stabbing in the 1700 block of Mound Street around 7:50 p.m. The two reported stabbings occurred within an hour of each other. We are on our way to the scene to learn more.
More Stories