Florida woman dies of flesh-eating bacteria after a fall on Gulf Coast beach

>> Read more trending news 

Manatee County resident Lynn Fleming was walking along a Gulf of Mexico beach on Anna Maria Island when she tripped and fell, nicking her shin and receiving a cut about three quarters of an inch long, according to news reports.

“She didn't know that there was a small ditch there and she stumbled and hit the embankment on the other side,” her son, Wade Fleming, told CBS News

That was June 10.

Days later, when Lynn Fleming’s leg began swelling and turning black, she was rushed to a hospital where doctors diagnosed necrotizing fasciitis, WFLA-TV reported. Fleming died after a week and a half of treatment. The rare but potentially deadly bacterial infection kills the body’s soft tissue. That’s what happened in Lynn Fleming’s case, although a 12-year-old girl, also infected last month after swimming in Florida waters, survived the bacteria.

“I'm still numb. You know, it's two weeks and I lost my mother,” Wade Fleming said. “It's been hard.” 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate between 500 to 1,000 people a year develop the illness. The bacteria is usually found in warmer waters such as the Gulf of Mexico, but is making an appearance in areas farther north along the East Coast as water temperatures increase.

A Florida woman developed flesh-eating bacteria after nicking her shin June 10 in a fall at a beach along the Gulf of Mexico. She died last week from the bacterial infection.
Photo: Pixbay

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X