E-cigarette explodes in Kentucky man's pocket

Josh Hamilton was waiting in line at a Shell gas station when he said his e-cigarette batteries exploded in his pocket.

>> Read more trending stories

"He was giving me money. He put his hand in his pocket," gas station employee Jassie Singh told WFIE. "Suddenly, there was a blast in his pocket and then there was a fire. A big fire and he was burning."

Singh said he wasn't sure what was happening when Hamilton ran out of the store, struggling to get out of his burning pants.

Singh can be seen on surveillance video using a fire extinguisher to put out the fire on Hamilton.

Hamilton went to the bathroom to check out the burns before another customer drove him to the hospital.

In a Facebook post, Hamilton said he had-third degree burns on his leg.

He is still able to walk.

A faulty spare battery may have been the cause of the explosion.

ICYMIAn Owensboro man is healing after an e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket...WATCH the full video >> http://shout.lt/bsbRb

Posted by 14 NEWS on Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X