(Getty Images)

Baby killed by rat parents raised to feed snake

A 6-month-old Pennsylvania child has died after a rat his family was raising to feed a pet snake bit him, transmitting two deadly conditions, according to CBS News.

Tests found that the boy died of meningitis and myocarditis, diseases caused by rat-bite fever, which is extremely rare, but can be transmitted by rodent bites, as the name implies.

"It was pretty dominant in the baby's brain," Charlie Hall, Cumberland (Penn.) County Coroner told CBS News.

The baby was rushed to the emergency room Dec. 30 and died in the emergency room two days later. The autopsy report was released Thursday.

"It's bizarre," Hall said. The coroner said he's never seen anything like it.

Read CBS News' full story.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X