Man shoots himself after deputies tase him

A reported domestic dispute ended with a Mad River Twp. man taking his own life seconds after he was shot by a Taser by Clark County Sheriff’s deputies.

Authorities responded to a home in the 3000 block of Arthur Road about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday after a woman called 911 asking for help, telling the dispatcher her boyfriend had a gun. Minutes later, another 911 call on Arthur Road indicated a neighbor heard a gunshot.

Deputies found Chad Haulman, 35, reportedly sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck parked behind the home “with a beer in one hand and a gun in the other” and a woman standing in front of him, said Sheriff Gene Kelly.

After telling the woman to move to cover, two deputies ordered Haulman to drop the gun while another walked behind him and deployed his Taser in an attempt to incapacitate him, Kelly said.

“He fell back and after the deployment, he (sat) back up and then took the handgun, put it to his head and took his own life,” Kelly said.

An ambulance from Mad River Twp. responded and Haulman was pronounced dead at the scene. Due to the nature of the incident, investigators from the Ohio Attorney General’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation were called to help collect evidence. Authorities remained at the home for five hours, photographing the area and questioning family members.

Haulman, a 1996 Greenon High School graduate, was described by neighbors as friendly. He had no criminal history beyond a 2007 conviction for driving under the influence, and Kelly said they had no prior calls to the residence. Karen Shockey, who lives across the street, said her son heard at least one gunshot, but she never expected to learn her neighbor had taken his own life.

“I mean, right across the street I wouldn’t expect it,” she said.

Kelly said he believes his deputies “showed great restraint” in their actions, and that the incident was a “tragedy.”

“We were taking every precaution in an attempt to de-escalate, to bring this to a peaceful conclusion and get the necessary help everyone needed but we were unable to do that,” he said.

The Clark County coroner is performing an autopsy and Kelly said the case is still under investigation.