In 1846, the Mad River Valley Bank of Ohio opened as the first bank in Springfield with a capital of $100,000.
It was incorporated as the Mad River National Bank in January 1865. In 1869, the building shown here at 22 E. Main Street was constructed.
Employees of the bank are shown here in the late 1870s: Thomas McGrew (left) and Charles Bacon (later the president and vice president), with C.F. Harrison and Joe Sharp looking out the windows.
The Mad River Bank merged with the First National Bank of Springfield in 1928 and moved to what is today known as Hull Plaza at the northwest corner of Main and Fountain.
While it is no longer a bank, the building at the location is still very grand.