- By Michael Tyler Staff Writer
First Presbyterian Church was organized in July 1817 with 28 members by Rev. Archibald Steele. Their first building opened in 1828 and as the congregation grew, they built a new church in 1848 at the northwest corner of Fisher and Main streets, shown here sometime between 1910 and 1919. Around 1920 First Presbyterian combined with Second Presbyterian, then located on South Limestone to form Covenant Presbyterian. The congregation at Covenant remained at Fisher and Main until their current location at Limestone and North was completed in 1927.
Today, the property is now the home of the National Road Commons Park, which includes the statue, “Madonna of the Trail.”
>>READ MORE: National Road Commons park opens