Rechargeable battery catches fire in man’s pocket

A Georgia man was hospitalized in the burn unit of Atlanta’s Grady Hospital after a rechargeable battery caught fire in his pocket.

Explore>> Read more trending news

Mike Pierson, of Grayson, said he had bought extra batteries for his electronic cigarette.

The battery at issue wasn't even installed in the vapor device when it ignited.

"I had taken my battery off the charger and put it in my pocket. I didn't think anything else about it," Pierson said.

"It erupted like a volcano or something. It was just shooting sparks," he said of the incident, which occurred before church Sunday morning.

Pierson is scheduled for surgery on his left leg Friday.

About the Author