How to protect yourself from identity theft
- Keep private information like social security card and bank numbers secure
- Never give out personal information on an unfamiliar or unsecured website
- Do not ever click on links in an email asking for information
- Use anti-virus protection on computer
- Shred documents such as credit card offers and bank paperwork
- Monitor all bank accounts and statements
- Make your passwords hard to hack and vary them across sites
- Screen calls and don’t answer unfamiliar numbers.
- Get free credit reports annually
Source: Better Business Bureau
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.