“Sometimes, things without rhyme or reason happen, and that's what we have,” Pickard said. “I thought about it all night and into the next day, (about) what could have possibly been done to save him.”
The family's waiter jumped the staircase and shut off the rotation device, rather than relying on an automatic sensory shut-off. That allowed patrons, employees and the family to rip the chair from the floor and get to the child.
“People acted heroically,” Pickard said. “They tried to rescue the kid.”
The Sun Dial closed over the weekend, and there has not been any update about when it may reopen.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the Office of Insurance and Fire Safety confirm they are not regulators in this case and Atlanta police say from their standpoint, this is considered an accident.
There are no intentions to file charges against anyone.