An Indiana father posted photos and a video on social media, warning parents to inspect their child’s juice pouches.
Cameron Hardwick, of Columbus, said he found mold in a Capri Sun juice pouch he was about to give one of his children “as a treat” on Sept. 24. In a video he posted on Facebook, Hardwick said he noticed “something odd” about the Capri Sun pouch.
“It seems low in content, I take a closer look at the packaging and don't notice a hole or anything. So I shake it up some, only to find an unknown substance floating around in the package,” Hardwick says in the video. “To say we are irate would be an understatement.”
Capri Sun addresses the issue of mold on the frequently asked questions section of its website. Seven questions address the possibility of mold.
Addressing the question, “Will the mold make my child sick?” Capri Sun website reads, “The mold is naturally-occurring, and we understand your concerns. That’s why we created our clear bottom pouches so you can check for mold before enjoying your Capri Sun, while still remaining committed to keeping our drinks free of artificial preservatives.”
“We care deeply about this issue and about the well-being of our moms, dads and kids,” reads the Capri Sun response to the question, “What are you doing to prevent mold in Capri Sun pouches?”
“That's why we have invested millions of dollars in our packaging, quality and manufacturing processes to make our pouches even stronger and more resistant to air leaks. We recommend that parents gently squeeze each pouch to check for leaks before serving Capri Sun to their kids. Any leaky or punctured pouches should be discarded,” the site reported.
Hardwick used a Facebook post Monday to note that officials with Kraft, the parent company of Capri Sun, had reached out and sent a third party to visit him and collect the pouch for testing.
The results, he said, revealed a “micro-puncture" in the package, which allowed oxygen to enter the pouch and create the mold.
Capri Sun officials also answered Hardwick’s post:
“Thanks again, Cameron, for bringing this to our attention and sharing more information with others. Although it's rare, it is possible for mold to grow inside containers of preservative-free juice drinks if the pouch is punctured in any way on its journey from our facilities to your home. We understand it’s unpleasant, but the mold is naturally-occurring, just like if you left an apple on your counter for too long and mold begins to grow.”
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.