An Illinois teenager thought she was going to miss her prom after suffering severe burns in a backyard fire pit explosion last month. But her friends brought the prom to her, WLS reported.
Korryn Bachner, 15, a sophomore at Glenbard East High School in Lombard, was among a dozen teens injured last month when a boy poured gasoline on a bonfire during a weekend party.
Bachner suffered serious burns to her face and hands and was not going to attend her prom on Saturday. Her date, however, decorated the Bachners’ basement, and friends dropped in to visit before the actual prom started, WLS reported.
"There were tears," Korryn’s father, Bob Bachner, told WLS.
“Overwhelming doesn't seem like the right word anymore," said Korryn’s mother, Ellen Bachner.
While doctors expect Korryn to make a full recovery, it will take months, WLS reported.
"Having all my friends’ support, it helps a lot,” Korryn told WLS. “It takes my mind off things.”
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.