A Wisconsin woman walking her dog Tuesday morning had to remove a drug syringe from the animal’s paw when he stepped on it, WISN reported.
Christina Lawrence and her fiance were walking Jack Daniels, a chocolate lab-golden retriever, when the dog yelped, the television station reported.
"Walking around daily, you see caps (to needles) lying in the road and stuff like that, needles themselves" Kodi Lillie told WISN. "You go up and down 13th (Street) and you see them all over the place."
"It hurts. He's my baby," Lawrence told the television station. "So, I'm just wanting to warn everybody, parents especially."
Veterinarians told WISN that if a dog steps on a sharp object like a needle, make sure the animal gets medical attention. Pet owners also should monitor swelling and watch for infection, the television station reported.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.