Dog electrocuted after stepping on pull box lid, police say


Members of a Florida family are grieving after their 6-month-old dog died after stepping on an electrified pull box lid in Sarasota, the Herald-Tribune reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Lynn McDermott was walking Charlie Blizzard, a Great Pyrenees, on Saturday night. It had been raining, and when the dog’s wet paws touched the lid of the pull box, the shock sent the animal sprawling onto the ground. McDermott reached down to pick up the dog’s leash and also received an electrical shock, the Herald-Tribune reported.

A pull box is an underground container that holds the wiring for street lights. 

McDermott called 911 and began running down the street, the Herald-Tribune reported.

“I thought Charlie got off his chain,” said McDermott’s wife, Debbie. “I got out of my car and saw Charlie; I thought he got hit by a car. But there was no blood.”.

Debbie McDermott began CPR, and Sarasota County firefighters gave the dog chest compressions and an oxygen mask when they arrived, the Herald-Tribune reported.

Public Works Director Doug Jeffcoat told the newspaper that the metal lid became electrified because a faulty wire underground had come into contact with it. Debbie Debbie McDermott said no one from the city or the Florida Department of Transportation have contacted them.

“We haven’t gotten one call,” Debbie McDermott told the Herald-Tribune. “We haven’t gotten anything in the mail. This should have never happened to our puppy.

“People get 12 to 15 years with a dog, but Charlie didn’t die of cancer or old age,” Debbie McDermott said. “For your dog to be electrocuted because of someone else, that is profound. That shouldn’t happen.”


Reader Comments


Next Up in News

Artist paints Iowa’s largest mural on side of 110-foot silo
Artist paints Iowa’s largest mural on side of 110-foot silo

An Australian artist turned the side of a 110-foot silo into what is believed to be the largest mural in Iowa.  >> Read more trending news  Guido van Helten finds a challenge in all his projects, but he especially enjoyed adding the details and accounting for the silo’s curves in achieving the final product. "This one's probably...
'Nobody should work here, ever': Teen quits Walmart job over store intercom
'Nobody should work here, ever': Teen quits Walmart job over store intercom

A 17-year-old delivered a pointed message to people inside a Canada Walmart before quitting his job. The Edmonton Journal reported that Jackson Racicot posted a video of himself speaking over the intercom of a Walmart in Grand Prairie, Alberta, addressing customers and co-workers. The profanity-laced video was posted on his Facebook page Dec....
Teen daughter raising money to buy wheelchair for paralyzed mother 
Teen daughter raising money to buy wheelchair for paralyzed mother 

A teen daughter is trying to raise money to help her paraplegic mother get an upright wheelchair.  >> Read more trending news  Kariyana Fields has been working and saving money each week to buy a standing electric wheelchair, which costs about $8,500 and is not covered under insurance, WWL reported.  Kariyana has written letters...
2018 Ohio governor’s race most expensive ever
2018 Ohio governor’s race most expensive ever

The 2018 race for governor between Republican Mike DeWine and Democrat Richard Cordray set a new record for most expensive governor’s race in Ohio history: $43.5 million raised between the two campaigns. That easily outstrips the previous record of $30.4 million set in 2010. In 2017-18, DeWine, who is currently attorney general, raised $24...
Children greet trash collector with cookies, Mountain Dew; he surprises them with toy garbage trucks
Children greet trash collector with cookies, Mountain Dew; he surprises them with toy garbage trucks

Children at a Utah day care greet the garbage man each Thursday with cookies and Mountain Dew.  >> Read more trending news  Recently, trash collector Jeff Okeson had a surprise for them -- smaller, wooden toy trucks for them to keep.  "You know why I did this?" Okeson told the children, KUTV reported. "(I did...
More Stories