Cooking apparently can be deadly, especially when one of the ingredients can, and does, fight back.
A chef who was mixing up a spitting cobra soup dish was killed with the decapitated head from the snake bit him - 20 minutes after it was removed from the snake's body, the Mirror reported.
The chef had already made and served it, when he went to throw the head into the garbage. That's when it bit him, injecting him with fast acting venom.
The Mirror reported the chef died before he was able to get anti-venom in a hospital.
Restaurant patrons said they could hear screams coming from the kitchen, the Daily Mail reported.
After they found out that the chef had died, they had decided not to finish the meal, the Daily Mail reported.
A snake expert was quoted in the Daily Mail as saying that reptiles can function for up to an hour after being "killed." And that it is actually dead since basic body functions have stopped, but there are still reflexive actions during that time.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.