Dalton Konat

Sentencing of New Carlisle man guilty of possessing child porn delayed

Dalton Konat, 25, was charged in federal court with production of child pornography and possession of child pornography. Konat pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography and the production charge was dismissed.

MORE: New Carlisle man accused of filming 11-year-old girl showering

Konat was due in federal court last week to be sentenced but the hearing was again continued. He is now due in court on March 26 for sentencing.

This is the sixth time the sentencing hearing in the case has been continued.

In a motion filed by Konat’s attorney and granted by Judge Thomas Rose, the defense asked for more time to prepare. Attorneys asked for “an additional 45 days to allow defense counsel additional time to present pertinent information,” the motion says.

The motion says prosecutors in the case didn’t object to the request. Konat is currently jailed at the Shelby County Jail.

EXTRA: New Carlisle man pleads in federal court to child porn possession

Konat’s legal troubles began in January when the mother of an 11-year-old girl told police that she found naked photos of her daughter in his possession.

“The images were of the juvenile female in the shower, completely naked,” an affidavit filed by the Clark County Sheriff’s Office says.

Dalton agreed to go to the sheriff’s office for an interview, the affidavit says, where he initially denied having anything to do with the photos.

The mother of the child brought a digital memory card to the office, the affidavit says, and on it, investigators found a video.

“It showed Dalton setting up his phone, hiding it under the toilet in the bathroom, putting items around it to conceal the camera and phone,” the affidavit says. “He then leaves the bathroom and the juvenile female comes in.”

At the end of the video, Dalton allegedly can be seen removing the phone, the affidavit says.

“It did not appear by the video the juvenile female had any idea he was videotaping her,” the court record says.

After showing Konat the video, the affidavit says the suspect allegedly said that he has a problem.

“The (mother) was brought in at the end of the interview to talk to him and he just continued saying he was sorry,” the affidavit says.

Konat was indicted in Clark County Common Pleas Court on Jan. 29 with pandering obscenity involving a minor, illegal use of minor in nudity-oriented material or performance and endangering children.

Those charges were dismissed when he was indicted in federal court on Feb. 13.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X