Watch as body cam video shows when a deputy fires his weapon and shoots Andy Grimm, a photographer for the New Carlisle News.

Photographer shot by Clark County deputy settled suit for $260,000

Andy Grimm, a former photographer for the New Carlisle News who was shot by Clark County Deputy Jake Shaw on Sept. 4, 2017 on Main Street in New Carlisle while preparing to take photos of the deputy at a traffic stop, dismissed the litigation on May 23.

A filing in the case says the money forever discharges Shaw, Clark County Sheriff Deborah Burchett, the Clark County Board of Commissions and New Carlisle from the case.

“The undersigned hereby declares that the terms of this settlement have been completely read and are fully understood and voluntarily accepted for the purpose of making a full and final compromise, adjustment and settlement of any and all claims, disputed or otherwise on account of the injuries and damages above mentioned…,” the filing says.

Grimm previously said he was content with the amount of money from the settlement and that he was happy that the lawsuit was finished.

RELATED: Photojournalist shot by deputy settles lawsuit with Clark County

“They say a good litigation is when neither side is happy,” Grimm said previously. “I’m not exactly happy, I know they aren’t happy either, but I am happy this is over.”

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office released a statement to the Springfield News-Sun.

“The lawsuit between Andy Grimm and the Clark County Sheriff’s Office has been resolved in a manner that is mutually satisfactory to both parties. The Sheriff’s Office will continue the hard work of protecting and serving the citizens of Clark County. We wish Mr. Grimm the best in his future endeavors,” the lawsuit says.

Shaw was cleared by a Clark County Grand Jury of any criminal actions. However, Grimm filed the lawsuit in late 2017 seeking compensation for the incident.

The lawsuit said Grimm suffered serious injuries and financial suffering that he believed the county was responsible for.

“The nature of the injury has caused plaintiff to lose wages for time taken off to heal from the injury,” it says. “The loss of wages suffered by Andrew Grimm is serious and of a nature that no reasonable person could be expected to endure.”

The lawsuit also alleges Grimm’s wife, Melanie Grimm and KBA News LLC, which published the New Carlisle News, also suffered due to the shooting.

“Plantiff KBA News, LLC asserts loss of business profits as local law enforcement agencies have retaliated against the business in response to the events of Sept. 4,” the lawsuit says.

The New Carlisle News discontinued its newspaper in December 2018, but has published stories online since.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X