Johnathon Rockey

Clark County man convicted of trying to run over 2 police officers

A Clark County man was sentenced to prison after he allegedly tried to strike two police officers trying to arrest him on a warrant.

Johnathon Rockey was found guilty by a jury and sentenced to 15 years in prison, the Clark County Prosecutor’s Office announced.

MORE: Man accused of Springfield’s Homeview Avenue shooting arrested

Springfield police officers attempted to arrest Rockey on misdemeanor theft warrants on Oct. 20, 2017 when Rocky tried to get away, a press release from the office says. Instead, when Rockey saw the officers, he allegedly put a vehicle in reverse and tried to hit one of the officers, the release says.

He then attempted to hit a second officer before driving away, the release says.

Officers then tried to arrest him on Oct. 26, 2017, the press release says, but instead got involved in a high-speed chase.

“At this time Rockey drove by the officer who began to pursue the suspect with lights and sirens,” the release says. “Mr. Rockey fled from officers at high rates of speed, 75 miles per hour on a busy Bechtle Avenue. This chase continued onto Lower Valley Pike where speeds reached 95 miles per hour. The vehicle stopped-sticked at Lower Valley and Enon road by the Ohio State Patrol. Rockey continued to flee until he abandoned the vehicle in a field along the Mad River in the Union Road and Spangler Road. Efforts were made by canine and air support but Rockey was not found that night.”

Rockey was eventually arrested on Oct. 27 when he was spotted walking in Medway, the release says.

The Clark County man was convicted on charges of felonious assault on peace officer, obstructing justice and failure to comply on Aug. 28 and was sentenced to prison on Aug. 31, the release says.

READ: Springfield crime: Home of dead Springfield woman broken into

“We are very pleased with the jury’s verdict in the case,” Clark County Assistant Prosecutor Brian Driscoll said. “Mr. Rockey put tow officer’s lives in peril by his actions on Oct. 20 and Oct. 26.

The prosecutor’s office does not tolerate violence against police, Driscoll said.

“We are also very pleased with the sentence in this matter,” Driscoll said. “Mr. Rockey put the lives of these officers as well as the rest of the community in danger by his action in trying to flee from his capture. We are just pleased that this ended with no injuries.”

Rockey was convicted on Aug. 28 and was sentenced on Aug. 30.