Nine people were sickened by a carbon monoxide leak at a downtown Nashville hotel Wednesday morning, The Tennessean reported.
The leak occurred at the Westin Nashville, the newspaper reported. Five of the victims were taken to a hospital, according to the Nashville Fire Department. The extent of their injuries is unknown, WSMV reported.
We have a total of nine patients who were sickened by carbon monoxide. We transported 5 people. We are ventilating the building. pic.twitter.com/LjomPtLR6B— Nashville Fire Dept (@NashvilleFD) November 7, 2018
Fire department spokesman Joseph Pleasant said a call was received at 6:45 a.m. when several hotel patrons working out on the third floor became sick, the television station reported.
The hotel's third floor houses the workout area, a swimming pool and several offices, WSMV reported.
"The people were working out, they were the first ones to indicate that something was wrong because they got sick and got out of there," Pleasant told the television station. "Had this happened overnight, possibly had it happen in an area where people were sleeping, it could have been a very much different outcome."
A representative who answered the telephone at the hotel said the building was not evacuated, The Tennessean reported.
About the Author