Some of Springfield’s hottest kitchens will welcome fans in this weekend.
The 11th annual Women’s Association of the Springfield Symphony Orchestra (WASSO) Kitchens Tour will highlight five different spaces, 1-4 p.m. Saturday, April 29.
The tour is a fundraiser with proceeds benefitting the Springfield Symphony Orchestra.
“We’ve got a variety of kitchens,” said event chair Marcia Flax. “In a time when cooking isn’t a top priority for many working people, it’s nice to see what some do for their meals.”
Tour stops include 4726 Old Columbus Road, 3512 Oakmont Court, 721 W. Home Road, 104 W. Harding Road and 1703 Longview Drive. Flax offered teases of what the spaces offer.
• Janet James of 104 W. Harding has a smaller, remodeled kitchen that is modern but retains older style charm because of its unique design, Flax said.
• While it’s easy to think a condo kitchen would be small and confined, Nancy Haley’s residence at 3512 Oakmont Court may surprise as it features a large, open kitchen.
• The Jennings farm home at 4726 Old Columbus Road is large and open enough to view the rest of the home’s lower level.
• Tammy Wiseman needed a larger kitchen for her business Unbelievable Bakery and built one into her home at 721 W. Home Road. The kitchen also has a nice view looking out over a sun room and patio.
• Sheila Rice turned her kitchen into more than just a place to prepare food. Her space at 1703 Longview Dr. was remodeled to accommodate a large center island, parquet floors and a flat screen television, combining entertainment and eating.
This year’s theme is “A Community Affair.” To go with that, each home owner on the tour has selected a community organization or cause they support and these groups will be set up at each stop with information and offer snacks.
Tickets cost $15 in advance and are available online at www.springfieldsym.org.
They can also be purchased in Springfield at the symphony office, Curves, Frame Haven, Heart of Country, Katie’s Hallmark, Netts Florist, Schneider’s Florist as well as The Village Hair Designs and Spa in South Charleston and Mark Joseph Floral Design Studio in Urbana or from any WASSO member.
Tickets are also available the day of the tour at any of the homes for $20.
Other WASSO fundraisers include a garden tour in July and holiday tour in December.
Contact this contributing writer at firstname.lastname@example.org.