Father warns other parents about dangers of 'hair tourniquet'

Check the baby's toes.

>> Read more trending stories

Scott Walker was concerned because his baby girl, Molly, became cranky and agitated to the point that she was overheating. When his wife pulled off Molly's socks to allow her feet to cool, the parents saw the baby's swollen toe.

A hair embedded in the baby's sock wrapped itself around Molly's toe, cutting through the skin. Walker and his wife were able to remove the hair with a pair of tweezers. Fortunately, the hair was removed before it did any permanent damage.

Walker said his doctor recommends checking the toes if a baby is inconsolable.

Had a small scare this afternoon with Ms. Molly. What happened was new to me, but apparently not totally uncommon, so I...

Posted by Scott Walker on Thursday, January 21, 2016

The National Library of Medicine indicates that a hair tourniquet is a rare disorder.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X