Actor and comedian Tom Arnold filed a report Monday with the Los Angeles Police Department after he said he was attacked by famed producer and MGM Chairman Mark Burnett at a pre-Emmys party in Los Angeles one day earlier.
Update 3:45 p.m. EDT Sept. 17: Los Angeles police spokeswoman Det. Meghan Aguilar confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that Arnold met with officers in West Los Angeles on Monday to file a battery report in connection to the incident.
The Times reported that Arnold and Burnett got into a confrontation over alleged secret recordings from “The Apprentice.” Burnett produced the show, which was hosted by Donald Trump for 14 seasons before his 2016 presidential run.
Arnold’s new show, "The Hunt for the Trump Tapes," follows the comedian’s attempts to find recordings that show Trump expressing bigoted views on the reality show.
Arnold said earlier Monday that he planned to file charges against Burnett, who he said "lost his mind, attacked & chocked me last night at Katzenberg's Night Before The Emmy's Party."
Authorities are investigating the case.
Original report: Two nights before the premiere of his new Viceland show, "The Hunt for the Trump Tapes," actor Tom Arnold took to Twitter late Sunday to accuse famed producer and MGM Chairman Mark Burnett of attacking him at a pre-Emmys party in Los Angeles.
"Mark Burnett just went (expletive) and choked me at this huge Emmy party then he ran away with his torn Pink shirt & missing gold chain," Arnold tweeted just before 9:30 p.m. PDT.
"I'm waiting for LAPD," he added, referring to the Los Angeles Police Department.
>> See the tweet here (WARNING: Linked page contains profanity.)
Minutes after Arnold tweeted that Burnett had "choked" him Sunday night, Burnett's wife, Roma Downey, fired back with her own tweet.
"Got this bruise tonight when Tom Arnold tried to ambush my husband Mark and me at a charity event," she wrote. "Is your TV show worth it Tom? Please stop."
Arnold replied: "You lie your crazy husband attacked me you psycho. I'm filing police report & suing you for defamation."
>> See his tweet here (WARNING: Linked page contains profanity.)
It was not immediately clear whether Los Angeles police responded to the scene. Burnett has not publicly commented on the incident.
Arnold, a frequent critic of President Donald Trump, has alleged that outtakes from "The Apprentice" show Trump using sexist and racist language, including the N-word. Arnold claims that Burnett, who created the reality show, won't release the tapes because he's protecting Trump.
Trump denied the existence of the alleged "N-word tape" last month when former "Apprentice" star and Trump aide Omarosa Manigault Newman released "Unhinged: An Insider's Account of the Trump White House." In the book, she discusses her efforts to learn more about the rumored recording.
"@MarkBurnettTV called to say that there are NO TAPES of the Apprentice where I used such a terrible and disgusting word as attributed by Wacky and Deranged Omarosa," Trump tweeted on Aug. 13. "I don’t have that word in my vocabulary, and never have. She made it up."
"The Hunt for the Trump Tapes," which follows Arnold's quest to find "the truth behind the many rumored, potentially damaging recordings" of the president, premieres Tuesday, according to the show's website.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.