Prince - Through the Years

Officials hold news conference on Prince's death

Prince was found unresponsive Thursday morning at his Paisley Park home after staffers were unable to get in touch with him, according to Sheriff Jim Olson.

Olson said there were no obvious signs of trauma on the singer's body when he was found alone in an elevator in his Paisley Park compound.

"We have no reason to believe at this point that it is a suicide," he said.

>> Read more trending stories

He would not take questions about what might have been in Prince's system, nor what authorities took or didn't take from the home.

Olson said normal protocol includes gathering surveillance video and a thorough search of the scene, including a search warrant, which he said will be filed "in the next week or so."

Medical examiners are working with the Sheriff's Office.

Spokeswoman for the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office Martha Weaver said the office received a call at 10:20 a.m. Thursday to assist officials and arrived at Paisley Park at 11:30 a.m.

Weaver said an autopsy was performed by Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Quinn Strobl beginning at 9:30 a.m. Friday, ending at 1 p.m.

Related: Police release official statement on Prince's death

After a "meticulous, complete" exam, the body was released to family members, the spokeswoman said.

She said further processing and testing will be performed  for the next few weeks.

"It could be days, depending on the type of test, and most likely weeks to have the complete set of results available to us," Weaver said.

The medical examiner's report will include Prince's medical history, his social history and that of his family.

Related: Prince's guarded personal life was filled with love and loss

Prince was last seen about 8 p.m. Wednesday when he was dropped off at Paisley Park, according to Olson.

Olson told reporters that he and other officers carry Narcan, which counteracts the effects of an opiate overdose, but he said it was not used on Thursday.

"It's better for us to do it well than to do it fast," Olson said.

Weaver extended her thanks to those showing respect. "To our generation, he was the songbook and narrative to some of the greatest moments of our lives," she said. "This is something we remember and take very seriously and we appreciate the dignity and support people have shown not only to us, but to his friends and family and the state of Minnesota, which he claimed."

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.