live video

Soon: President Trump to address UN delegates

Kevin Spacey’s Netflix show ‘House of Cards’ to end with sixth season


“House of Cards” is ending with its upcoming sixth season.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the end of the series had been in the works during the summer. Deadline reported that Netflix and production company Media Rights Capital were leaning toward ending the show, but cast and crew were made aware of the news with calls Monday morning. 

>> Read more trending news

The news comes after an allegation that Kevin Spacey, one of the stars of the Netflix show, made a sexual advance on 46-year-old actor Anthony Rapp when Rapp was 14.

Related: Kevin Spacey accused of past sexual misconduct with then-14-year-old actor

The Netflix drama, which stars Spacey and Robin Wright as ambitious Washington political couple Frank and Claire Underwood, will end in 2018 with 13 episodes. 

Spacey, an executive producer on the show, responded to Rapp’s allegations -- which were reported by BuzzFeed News -- with a statement, in which he said he doesn’t remember the encounter and apologized for “what would have been deeply inappropriate, drunken behavior.”

">pic.twitter.com/X6ybi5atr5

— Kevin Spacey (@KevinSpacey) October 30, 2017

At the end of his statement, Spacey came out as gay, which was heavily criticized by GLAAD and number of actors in the LGBT community who said the statement conflated homosexuality with his alleged actions.

BuzzFeed News said it contacted Spacey’s reps multiple times for comment on the report, but did not hear back from his team.

Related: Who is Anthony Rapp? 7 things to know about the actor, singer

Beau Willimon, creator of the show, exited last year. In response to the allegations, Willimon said Rapp’s story is “deeply troubling.”

“During the time I worked with Kevin Spacey on House of Cards, I neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behavior on set or off,” Willimon said. “That said, I take reports of such behavior seriously and this is no exception. I feel for Mr. Rapp and I support his courage.”

Deadline reported that Netflix and Media Rights Capital issued a joint statement in response to the allegations against Spacey:

“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey. In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

System issues causing delays, slow transactions at Ohio BMV locations
System issues causing delays, slow transactions at Ohio BMV locations

The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles reported system issues Tuesday morning that has led to transactions running slower than normal.  The Ohio BMV advised people heading to locations Tuesday to call ahead before arriving, according to a tweet around posted around 9 a.m.  Additional details were not available.  We’ll update this story...
Dozens of tips pour in on missing North Carolina boy with special needs 
Dozens of tips pour in on missing North Carolina boy with special needs 

The search for a 6-year-old North Carolina boy who vanished from a Gastonia park continued for a fourth day Tuesday as authorities sifted through dozens of tips. Maddox Ritch was last seen Saturday at Rankin Lake Park with his father and a friend. Update 10:05 a.m. EDT Sept. 25: Officials said they're using recorded messages from Maddox's mother...
Tipp City Mum Festival turns 60, race marks 40th year
Tipp City Mum Festival turns 60, race marks 40th year

It’s a milestone year in more ways than one for the Tipp City Mum Festival. The annual salute to everything mums is celebrating its 60th year Friday through Sunday with activities ranging from a massive Friday night car show to a parade down Main Street and two days of entertainment, food and arts and crafts at Tipp City Park. “We invite...
Fire department officers on leave after training on dead body
Fire department officers on leave after training on dead body

Two Bellingham Fire Department officers are no longer with the department after personnel practiced multiple intubations on a dead body in July, according to officials. An investigation revealed that a deceased patient was taken to Fire Station 1 in July to await transportation to a funeral home, The Bellingham Herald reported Monday. Several...
Dayton schools argue DeWine conflicted, inadequate to handle ECOT suit
Dayton schools argue DeWine conflicted, inadequate to handle ECOT suit

Dayton Public Schools and Logan-Hocking Local Schools are arguing in court that Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine is incapable of fairly representing school districts in a lawsuit seeking to recoup funds from the failed Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow. A filing Monday on Franklin County Common Pleas Court argues that DeWine – who is currently...
More Stories