Mandie Warner, owner of Sis’s Restaurant in Catawba, and employees Paul Koenig and Lexi Herron behind the counter at the restaurant. BILL LACKEY/STAFF
Editor’s Note: This feature first published on SpringfieldNewsSun.com on April 2, 2018.
Sometimes, a bit of throwback history can make an eatery even more interesting to visit. That would certainly be the case at this one.
Restaurant: Sis’s Restaurant
Location: 2 W. Pleasant St., Catawba
Contact: Facebook for “Daily Specials”
Telephone: (937) 828-0061
Catawba was a common stagecoach station in the mid-1800s. This corner building in its downtown still has the actual working stagecoach bell, along with two new U.S.A. flags, adorning its front entrance.
In recent times, Tim and Sue Ricketts had the “Time Of Day Cafe” in this spot for many years. Roberta Stonerock (“Sis”) owned a cafeteria in an old school in the town before renting this same space for her restaurant.
» READ MORE: Victor’s expands to Springfield
Matt Warner is an Air Force veteran, and now a project manager at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. He moved to Catawba in 2005. When they met in 2009, Mandie lived in Columbus and was working in the wholesale beverage industry. They married in 2013.
The couple really wanted to own an eating place in Catawba. Mandie’s friend, Mandy Campbell, worked for Sis at her restaurant and mentioned that the owner was ready to close her doors forever. Soon afterwards, the Warners met Sis with hopes of purchasing her business.
» READ MORE: Check out this new Yellow Springs spot
On July 1, 2017, Matt and Mandie Warner became the new owners of Sis’s Restaurant, “A place people can bring their families and enjoy a good meal at a fair price.”
- Beverages: Maxwell House Coffee, Hot Chocolate, Hot/Iced Tea, Milk (sm.)-$1.50;
- Coca-cola products (twenty oz. bottles)-$1.50; Juice (sm.)-$1.75.
- “Breakfast Specials”: “Sis’s Special” (home fries, covered w/scrambled eggs, topped w/cheese, toast)-$5.25.
- “Mandie’s Special” (home fries, covered w/fried eggs & sausage gravy, choice of meat, toast)-$7.95.
- “Matt’s Mega Mountain” (home fries stacked w/Texas Toast, sausage, bacon, fried eggs, another Texas Toast and covered w/sausage gravy)-$9.95.
- Breakfast Favorites: Oatmeal-$2; Breakfast Sandwich-$3.75; Pancakes w/meat-$4.75; French Toast w/meat-$5.95.
- Kid’s Menu: Pancake & Sausage Links-$2.25; Egg, Sausage Links, Toast-$3.25; Kid’s Hamburger w/Freshly-cut French Fries or Applesauce-$2.95; Kid’s Cod Fish & Chips-$4.25.
- Appetizers: Fried Mushrooms (ten)-$3; Jalapeno Cream Cheese Poppers (six), or Mozzarella Cheese Sticks (six)-$4.95.
- “Soup-of-the-Day” (could be): Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Chili, or Vegetable Beef Soup-$3.95 (lg. cup) / $5.95 (lg. bowl).
- Salads: Garden Salad-$2.50
- Sides: Cottage Cheese, or Pickled Beets-$1.50; Onion Rings, or Tater Tots-$2; Freshly-cut French Fries-$2.50.
- “Daily Specials” (10:30 A.M.) (any day, could be): Ham, Beans, & Cornbread-$5.95; Beef Stew & Fresh Biscuit-$6.95.
- “Tuesday Special” (10:30 A.M.): Homemade Chicken & Noodles w/Mashed Potatoes & Vegetable- $5.95.
- “Friday Special” (10: 30 A.M.): Cod Fish (two-piece) w/Freshly-cut French Fries & Slaw-$5.95.
- “Saturday Special” (Anytime): “Build—Your—Own—Three-Egg—Omelet” (w/up to six items) w/Homefries & Toast-$9.95.
- “First-Sunday-Of-Each-Month Special” (10:30 A.M.): Pork & Sauerkraut w/Mashed Potatoes & Vegetables- $7.95.
- Lunch & Dinner: Chicken Wings (five)$4; Hot Dog (1/4 lb.) w/side-$4.95; BLT on Toast w/side-$6.95; Catawba Cowboy Burger (1/4 lb.) w/side-$7.95; Philly Cheesesteak (Top Round Steak) w/side-$7.95; Spicy Italian sub w/side-$7.95.
- Platters: Chef Salad-$5.95; Fried Meatloaf w/sides-$7.95; Grilled Chicken Breast w/sides-$7.95; Fried Haddock w/sides-$9.95; Boneless Center Cut Pork Chop (ten oz.) w/sides-$10.95; NY Strip Steak (ten oz.) w/sides-$14.95.
- Pizza Menu (Thurs. & Fri., from 4 P.M.; Sunday, from Noon): Cheese Pizza (fourteen in.)-$12.95; Additional toppings-$1.25 each. Specialty Pizzas (fourteen in.)- $16.95 / $17.95 / $18.95.
- Desserts: Large, Fresh-baked Cookie-$1.50; Pie, or Cake-$2.50; A—La—Mode-$3.50.
- Breakfast & Lunch: Mon.-Sat., 6:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.;
- Breakfast All Day: Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.;
- Re-opens for Dinner: Thursday, 4-8 p.m.;
- Re-opens for Dinner: Friday, 4-11 p.m.
Sis’s Restaurant is across the street from the Catawba Post Office.
There’s seating for 38t customers at this restaurant the owners describe as, “As Mom And Pop As It Gets!”
Its “Reward’s Card” has you spend $25 on four separate visits and get $25 off your fifth visit.
Its application for on-premises beer consumption is pending.
Look for local restaurant profiles by Glenn and Kim Creyts every other week in “Life.” For inquiries regarding this column, and “Restaurant Profile” ideas and suggestions for future columns, please contact Glenn and Kim via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.